A Doula is a birthing professional trained in helping women during labor and after. I help ensure a safe and satisfying overall birth and postpartum transition. I practice non-medical physical and emotional support for a woman in labor teaching them pain management techniques, proper birthing positions, and at home postpartum needs.
*Recognizes birth as a key experience the mother will remember all her life.
- Understands the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labor.
- Assists the woman in preparing for and carrying out her plans for birth.
- Stays with the woman throughout the labor.
- Provides emotional support, physical comfort measures and an objective viewpoint.
- Help the woman get the information she needs to make informed decisions.
- Facilitates communication between the laboring woman, her partner and her clinical care providers.
- Perceives her role as nurturing and protecting the woman's memory of the birth experience.
- Allows the woman's partner to participate at his/her comfort level.